Monday, July 09, 2007

Leopard, Small details make a Big Cat


One day of Leopard and Tiger feels a bit incomplete. As every one else I expected big updates in Leopard. I expected more than Time machine, Core Animation, Spaces and Stacks. Why, what more do you want? To be honest I don't even know what I want more. More eye candy? I think not! My OS needs to be clear, clean, fast and I don't want it getting in my way when I work.

So I got my version of leopard and starting to play with it. My first impression was o.., wow Tiger with more nifty feathers, that's great, but not that big of a deal. I decided to use it for a day as my work machine just to see how it feels, doing regular stuff.
Because I had some trouble with my airport and bluetooth I decided switch back to tiger and wait for the final release in October, of course still using leopard for testing my appz.

Ones back at Tiger I immediately felt something was missing. I didn't quite know what it was, so again I switch back to Leopard and looked at the OS more closely. And than it stroke me. Leopard is really the big upgrade I wanted It to be.

Is not the new Time Machine (which is great) or Quicklook (which is even greater), Its the details. The Attention to details is what makes leopard really stand out. It's really amazing the keynote didn't pay attention to the small improvements ...than again nobody would have taken jobs seriously. You have to experience it for your self.

Apple has done a great job removing clutter and made options better accessible. Security and sharing are just easy, I mean easy, easy.

Apple uses subtle animation, we know from cartoon's (stretch and shrink) that give even better feedback of what we are doing.

So is Leopard the Vista Killer, jobs promised us it would be?
If Tiger not already was, Leopard is so much more than fancy eye candy. It's functionality that makes Leopard so much more than Vista. It's as if Apple isn't thinking different, but Microsoft is thinking complicated.

No comments: